Bruschetta with Tomato, Bacon, Arugula and Hazelnuts
Yield: 8 generous appetizers
- 8 (½-inch thick) slices good-quality crusty Italian-style bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 3 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, fried, drained, and minced
- ¼ cup fresh arugula, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed roasted and hazelnuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About ½ cup crumbled Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Grill or toast the bread until nicely browned on both sides. Rub with the cut garlic.
About 10 minutes before serving, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, bacon, arugula, and hazelnuts in a small bowl. Toss gently and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
To serve, spoon the tomato mixture onto the grilled bread. Top each serving with a portion of the Oregon Blue, and then drizzle on a bit of the balsamic vinegar. Place the slices onto a hot grill (or into a hot oven) and cook just until the blue cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.